STAY FIT WHILE YOU TRAVEL!
Fitness is very important for enjoyable & sustainable travel. There were days backpacking Mexico when I was walking for 8 hours a day and covered 10 miles. I walked across entire cities by myself and it was amazing. It was one of my goals to be able to work up to walking 10 miles a day in the hot Mexican sun from one destination to the next. You see more that way and experience more. Below are some tips and exercises for staying fit while being a traveling gypsy. Your body is your spaceship, take care of it!
- Bring a yoga mat. I bought one for $5 from Walmart. I had to cut the sides off to fit it into my suitcase. I used it to stretch after walking all day. After 8 hours of exercise, you’re going to want to stretch. I developed really horrible back pain from doing a year of backpacking and not stretching at night. Yoga is amazing for the back and one’s overall mental & emotional wellbeing too.
- Run. Jog. Go outside. Walk. Be in the sunshine. Listen to music, a podcast, etc, while you workout. I would run around the block wherever I was staying and I always stayed within a short distance from my host’s house or hostel.
- Floor exercises. These are great basic moves for combined strength training and cardio, and you don’t need any equipment. Repeat this cycle 5 times, or until you feel tired, or until 45 minutes – 1.5 hours has passed. You’ll be sore the next day but feel energized and amazing!
- Pushups X 30
- Burpees X 10
- To do a burpee, get on the floor and do a pushup, then hop your feet under your chest and raise your upper body in squat position, then raise your hands toward the sky. For an easier version, just do a pushup and then put your feet underneath you and back again, but don’t get up.
- Squats X30
- Keep your knees behind your toes. Put your arms out in front of you for balance if necessary. Feet can be angled at 45 degrees. Feel it in the glutes. You’ll have the gluteus sexiest! Ha!
- Jumping Jacks X10
- Jog in place X 5 minutes
- Pelvic Thrusts X30
- Lay your upper back on a couch or bed and put your feet on the floor. Lower your pelvis toward the floor and then use your glutes to raise it back up. Squeeze the glutes on the way back up.
- Lunges X30
CHEERS TO BEING FIT & HEALTHY!