- google maps & maps.me
- I use both of these apps to get directions when I do not have cell service or wifi. Download and save large areas in these apps before your trip and you’ll have GPS sans cell service or wifi. Both are free.
- Texting: Facebook Messenger & WhatsApp
- Text anyone anywhere, free.
- Calling: Google hangouts (usually requires wifi)
- I have used this app to make calls from Mexico to the US and so far all of my calls have been free.
- Facetime (usually requires wifi)
- FaceTime is a great free way to video call someone, free.
- Skype (Usually requires wifi)
- I have heard this is a low cost way to make video calls to other countries but I haven’t tried it.
- Stay with locals, free! The CS community is full of wonderful, kind and nice people.
- Search the cheapest flights to your destination, free.
- Carpool between cities for half the cost of the bus! I have only used this app so far in Mexico. The app itself is free.
- Dependable and efficient; cheap depending on where you are. App itself is free.
- Google translator
- Translates voice and text messages, free.
- Become fluent in another language, free